King George Hotel - Frequently Asked Questions
- Is the hotel within walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf? King George Hotel is located 1.8 miles from Fisherman's Wharf, about a 45-minute walk. You could also ride the trolley from Union Square. Hop on the Powel-Mason Line or the Powell-Hyde line, both of which travel from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf.
- What time is check-in and check-out? Check-in time at King George Hotel is 4:00 p.m. or later and check-out time is 11:00 a.m. If you are planning to arrive earlier or depart later, please let us know in advance and we'll do our very best to accommodate your request.
- What is there to do near the hotel? King George Hotel is located in the heart of Union Square, a cultural epicenter with numerous restaurants, art galleries, theaters, boutiques, and department stores. Hop on the trolley or public transit to explore nearby attractions like Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Park, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Learn more on our Things to Do page.
- What is the history of the hotel? King George Hotel was built in 1914, just in time for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1916 (a world's fair). All of our guestrooms, bathrooms, and corridors were fully renovated in 2016, and the lobby was renovated in 2018.
- How far is the hotel from downtown San Francisco? King George Hotel is situated in Union Square, which is the heart of the city. Surrounding neighborhoods include Nob Hill, Chinatown, the Financial District, and South of Market. We're also close to San Francisco waterfront, including Fisherman's Wharf and the Ferry Building Marketplace.
- Where are some places to shop near Union Square? Union Square is surrounded by shops, designer boutiques, and major department stores on all sides. Popular shopping destinations include Macy's, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Barney's New York, Tiffany & Co., and the Apple Store. Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's are located inside the six-story Westfield mall.