King George Hotel FAQs
- Is the hotel within walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf? King George Hotel is located 1.8 miles from Fisherman's Wharf, about a 45-minute walk. You could also ride the trolley from Union Square. Hop on the Powel-Mason Line or the Powell-Hyde line, both of which travel from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf.
- What time is check-in and check-out? Check-in time at King George Hotel is 4:00 p.m. or later and check-out time is 11:00 a.m. If you are planning to arrive earlier or depart later, please let us know in advance and we'll do our very best to accommodate your request.
- What is there to do near the hotel? King George Hotel is located in the heart of Union Square, a cultural epicenter with numerous restaurants, art galleries, theaters, boutiques, and department stores. Hop on the trolley or public transit to explore nearby attractions like Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Park, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Learn more on our Things to Do page.
- What is the history of the hotel? King George Hotel was built in 1914, just in time for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1916 (a world's fair). All of our guestrooms, bathrooms, and corridors were fully renovated in 2016, and the lobby was renovated in 2018.
- How far is the hotel from downtown San Francisco? King George Hotel is situated in Union Square, which is the heart of the city. Surrounding neighborhoods include Nob Hill, Chinatown, the Financial District, and South of Market. We're also close to San Francisco waterfront, including Fisherman's Wharf and the Ferry Building Marketplace.
- Where are some places to shop near Union Square? Union Square is surrounded by shops, designer boutiques, and major department stores on all sides. Popular shopping destinations include Macy's, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Barney's New York, Tiffany & Co., and the Apple Store. Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's are located inside the six-story Westfield mall.
- Is my identification/passport required at check-in? We do require presentation of a valid government issued identification at the time of check-in. Photos, copies are not accepted. Minimum age to check in is 18 y/o.
- What type of payment do you accept? We accept all major credit cards. Upon check-in, we'll place a hold for room, tax, and $200 incidentals. If the reservation is prepaid through a 3rd party, we still need to authorize your card for incidentals. Please keep in mind that the amenity fee is paid at the hotel directly, whether the reservation was made through our website or a 3rd party.
- How long does it take to get my deposit for incidentals? If no additional charges are accrued during your stay, our system will release the authorization upon check out. Credit cards usually take 24 to 48 business hours to release the hold. Debit cards are also accepted; however, when a hold is placed on a debit card, it reduces your actual bank account balance. This means you will not have access to your full account balance until the transaction clears. The process for debit cards can take from 2 - 15 business days depending on the bank.
- Is parking available? Valet parking is available at our hotel with in-n-out service as needed. The cost for standard sized vehicles is $55 USD per night, and $75 USD for oversized vehicles. King George Hotel does not offer self-parking for its guests, but should you opt to park on your own, we recommend Mason O'Farrell Garage Parking Garage at 325 Mason St · (415) 673-6757 (open 24 hours)
- Do you offer breakfast? Unfortunately, we don't offer breakfast on site, however, we do have freshly baked assorted pastries every morning as well as coffee and tea service. This is included in the $10 nightly amenity fee.
- What is your smoking policy? Our hotel is a smoke-free establishment. Smoking in the premises is subject to a fine.
- Can I bring my pet? King George Hotel does not allow pets.
- Do you provide shuttle service to and from the Airport to the hotel? We do not offer shuttle service to/from the airport. We are happy to arrange basic taxi needs while you are in San Francisco. Another option to get to/from the airport is BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit), which is a train system. The closest BART station to our hotel is Powell St.
- Can I store my baggage prior to checking in or after checking out? For your convenience, if your room is not ready upon arrival, we will store your bags safely. If you need to store luggage after checking out, we will be happy to hold it for the entire day/evening of your departure date. Luggage must be picked up within the same business day, overnight luggage storage is not available prior arrival or after departure.